Your swimming pool and spa should be a place of relaxation. Ensuring pool safety will give you peace of mind and allow you to keep your pool a safe place to enjoy.
The California Health and Safety Code requires minimum safety measures regarding child safety and drowning prevention. The City of Palm Desert, Pool Regulations, also provide for pool safety.
New and remodeled swimming pools, toddler pools, and spas must be isolated from the home by one of the following seven methods:
- Removable mesh fencing
- Safety cover
- Exit alarms
- Self-closing, self-latching doors
- Swimming pool alarms
- Other means of protection
Most drowning fatalities occur when the child being out of sight less than five minutes and in the care of one or both parents.
Drowning Pool Facts:
- Drowning is the number one killer of children under age 5
- Only a momentary lack of supervision puts the child at risk
- The majority of drowning occurs in residential swimming pools and spas
- Drowning is 100% preventable
The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act promotes the safe use of pools, spas, and hot tubs by imposing mandatory federal requirements for suction entrapment avoidance and by establishing a voluntary grant program for states with laws that meet certain minimum requirements as outlined in the Act.