Director of Public Works
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$139,283 - $191,071, At-Will Exempt
- Posted Date:04/12/2018
The City of Palm Desert is seeking a forward thinking, committed professional to join our leadership team. Overseeing a staff of 40, an annual operating budget of more than $8 million, and a capital improvement budget in the tens of millions of dollars, Palm Desert’s Director of Public Works is responsible for overseeing a broad range of services including the design, construction, and maintenance of the City’s public infrastructure, parks, landscaping and facilities, fleet management, engineering, and related operations. You and your team will not only be maintaining Palm Desert’s high quality infrastructure, you will be shaping it to meet the community’s future needs.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative leader, able to build interdepartmental consensus, respect, and trust among staff at all levels. The selected candidate will possess exemplary management and administrative capabilities supported by excellent communications skills. They will have a proven record of customer-focused service and will be able to communicate technical information to a variety of audiences. They should be informed about Smart Cities and creative approaches to increase walkability and pedestrian and bicycle access.
Palm Desert is a thriving community with the natural beauty, cultural, and recreational amenities of a resort destination. With stunning mountain views, 350 days of sunshine a year, and a setting that encourages active living, the City’s 50,000 full-time and more than 30,000 seasonal residents enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking and golfing while delighting in first-class arts, education, culture, dining, and shopping opportunities.
Recently adopted Strategic and General plans set the stage for how the community will develop and reflect innovative thinking – a hallmark of Palm Desert’s success. Palm Desert’s municipal government embraces a culture of excellence where employees rarely leave and politics are cordial and productive. The new Public Works Director will have the opportunity to lead without the distractions found in less successful organizations.
- Assumes full management responsibility for all programs, services, and activities of the Public Works Department, including design, engineering, and construction activities, stormwater, drainage, streets, fleet services, facilities, water quality and environmental compliance, traffic, development and implementation of the City's CIP, land development engineering, landscape, parks, and property management.
- Develops, directs, and coordinates the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the department; establishes, within City policy, appropriate budget, service, and staffing levels.
- Manages the development and administration of department budget.
- Evaluates the need for and develops, plans, and schedules for long-term public works maintenance programs; organizes available resources for the maintenance, improvement, and repair of public works facilities and City equipment; compiles estimates, contract provisions, and specifications.
- Represents the department to other City departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; explains and interprets departmental programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves significant and controversial issues.
- Monitors changes in laws, regulations, and technology that may affect City or departmental operations; implements policy and procedural changes as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned. View Full Job Description.
Minimum requirements include a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, business or public administration, or related field (master’s degree preferred), as well as seven years of increasingly responsible management experience in engineering, public works operations, or public administration. Certification as a Professional Engineer is highly desirable.
This recruitment will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications are received. For optimal consideration, please submit your cover letter, application, and resume as soon as possible. The first review of applications will take place on May 25, 2018 with the first round of interviews scheduled for mid-June 2018.
The City of Palm Desert is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
The City of Palm Desert reserves the right to modify or revoke, without notice, any or all of the provisions of this bulletin prior to the time of appointment, and to waive any nonsubstantive job requirement and make subjective decisions interpreting and assessing the skills and qualifications of any candidate, including the determination that none of the candidates, even those who meet the minimum qualifications, are appropriate for the position.